Finding a perfect Yoga mat is the key to successful Yoga practice. After all, it is the only necessary item for Yoga. The simple task of choosing a mat is actually very challenging. You have to find a mat that suits your body, your practice, and your overall lifestyle. You have to be even more attentive if you tend to sweat during practice. If you are experiencing such discomfort, you are not alone. Many people struggle with sweaty hands and feet during practice. Not only is this uncomfortable but comes with many disadvantages:
- Increased chance of injury
- Inability to practice advanced poses
- Incorrect alignment of muscles
On the bright side, this is an issue that you can overcome quite easily. To help you with that, I will share tips for choosing a yoga mat if you have sweaty hands and feet.
What type of mat do I need?
There are several things you could do to decrease the discomfort caused by sweaty palms and feet. You could get Yoga grip gloves, socks with a strong grip, or even special absorbing towels. But I believe finding a good mat is the best and most convenient solution to this problem. So, here is what you should look for in a Yoga mat:
- Choose an absorbent material – For sweaty hands and feet, you should find a mat that is made with well-absorbent material. I recommend you avoid PVC Yoga mats, even though they are the most common on market, they become very slippery and do not absorb sweat.
- Go for Open-Cell Mats – I definitely recommend this mat if you tend to sweat a lot. These mats are very absorbent. On the downside, they are hard to clean, because of their absorbent nature. So, before buying it, analyze whether you have the time to clean the mat regularly. If you do, this mat won’t disappoint.
- Look for Dry-Tech Mats – more and more mats are made with quick-drying technology. Even if you sweat a lot, they dry quickly and provide a good grip.
- Non-Slip Yoga Mat – look for packaging with this inscription. Usually, non-slip yoga mats have a very strong grip hence protect you from slipping
- Good Cushioning – high cushioning provides extra comfort and also mats with good cushioning are more absorbent. Highly cushioned mats usually have a topcoat that absorbs moisture easily and provides a strong grip.
What else you should consider when choosing a Yoga mat?
To be completely honest, any good quality Yoga mat should be able to help you with your sweating issues. Pay attention to our tips and use them while looking for a Yoga mat. Do not forget to consider other factors as well:
- What type of yoga do you practice
- Size of the mat
- Thickness and material
- The design
Do not forget to consider the weight of the mat. Will you be carrying around your Yoga mat a lot? If yes, then you should choose something light and comfortable for traveling. You also have to consider the budget. High-quality mats tend to be expensive, but they also are very durable and can last for decades.